Monday, March 10, 2014

Bittersweet

       Most of us like to think that people come into our lives for a reason. But what about when they leave and you're just not ready to be left behind? Is there a reason for that? Yesterday I came to the hard realization that pretty soon...in about two months I'm going to be saying goodbye to some of the most amazing people I have ever met. My little ACA family and my UAP friends. Its heartbreaking. Over the years, I have said to friends (out of insecurity) "don't replace me" but that is probably the most ridiculous thing to say to just about anyone I've ever cared about. People can't be replaced by anyone or anything else, and the friends that i've made here can't replace my friends at home, and my friends at home can't replace the friends I have made here.
      Sometimes making friends away from home feels more like a liability than a gift, because in the end I know that we will part ways and there is a good chance of never seeing them again. But a very wise women once told me that each relationship I would have would be like medicine to me, mending old wounds, teaching me lessons, and expanding my life. I think its true, friendships always brings something needed into my life. And even though I hate saying goodbye I know that I have learned some important lessons from the people I have met here and i will be a better person for it. Sometimes its accepting the friendship of someone you didn't want in your life and in the end realizing they became so important despite yourself. Sometimes its the unbiased, non judging kindness of someone who you can tell all your faults and mistakes to that heals the deepest insecurities. And sometimes its those loud and abrasive people with the sunny disposition that always have something to say that brightens your day....whether it but rainbows and kittens or snarky quips.
     So with all this being said, I intend to soak up the time I have left and enjoy the bittersweet last term of ACA in Argentina. Here is to the first day of our last term.

1 comment: